- n unbearable physical pain
- n extreme mental distress
- n intense feelings of suffering; acute mental or physical pain
the torments of the damned
- n a feeling of intense annoyance caused by being tormented
so great was his harassment that he wanted to destroy his tormentors
- n a severe affliction
- n the act of harassing someone
- v torment emotionally or mentally
- v treat cruelly
The children tormented the stuttering teacher
- v subject to torture
The sinners will be tormented in Hell, according to the Bible
- Must then a Christ perish in torment in every age to save those that have no imagination? Shaw You cannot serve God and mammon.
- But after years of psychological torment caused by repeated gang rapes in one of the banlieues the destitute public .
- Left horribly disfigured and in frequent torment from incurable tumors that amassed in her sinuses and skull, Sbire's plea that doctors be allowed to legally terminate her .
News & Articles
- Family wants guilty plea in death of 2 on city's arterial
The family of a Town of Poughkeepsie couple killed in a car crash on the Eastbound Arterial said it's hopeful the man accused of causing the crash will plead guilty today and spare it the torment of a trial.
June 12, 2013 - Poughkeepsie Journal
- The agony of a girl who just wanted to fit in
Lexi was new to school and intent on being accepted. Then the pictures surfaced and the torment began. It wasn't a bullying case where the fault was always obvious, or the school failed to react. It was one that shows the grave complexity of this threat to teen life and how hard it can be to combat.
June 10, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Nadal wary as Ferrer finally enjoys the spotlight
PARIS (Reuters) - David Ferrer is used to wearing the "best of the rest" label when it comes to Spanish claycourters, but on Sunday against Rafa Nadal the 31-year-old has the chance to add his name to the pantheon of greats.The Valencia-based player has reached the French Open final without dropping a set, and on Friday produced a ruthless display of power and accuracy to torment French hope Jo ...
June 9, 2013 - MSNBC
- Barack Obama in TIME
About the same time, Obama told an audience in Independence, Mo., that McCain had "endured physical torment in service to our country" and "no one should ever devalue that service, especially for the sake of a political campaign, and that...
- President Bush in Minneapolis Star Tribune (subscription)
Bush says Borlaug is someone who has understood that one of the "greatest threats to global progress is the torment of human hunger."