- v dispose or incline or entice to
- v provoke someone to do something through (often false or exaggerated) promises or persuasion
- v give rise to a desire by being attractive or inviting
- v induce into action by using one's charm
- v try to seduce
- v try presumptuously
- s highly attractive and able to arouse hope or desire
a tempting invitation
- s very pleasantly inviting
a tempting repast
- It would be tempting for Washington to dismiss Sunday morning's military overthrow of Honduran President Manuel Zelaya as just a minor banana-republic convulsion.
- The Kissels are rich, or used to be, so it's tempting to savor the elaborate murders and betrayals the family has endured as a long lost episode of Knots Landing.
- As opportunities opened for women in the 1960s and '70s, fewer of them viewed the asceticism and confinements of religious life as a tempting career choice.
News & Articles
- Editorial: Complete the walkway
Because of the flak the Riverfront Development Corp. has received regarding cost overruns and engineering flaws in the construction of Beale Street Landing, it would be tempting to say "there they go again" about news that federal and state officials have withdrawn a $317,000 federal grant for the riverfront walkway project.
June 19, 2013 - Memphis Commercial Appeal
- Adding Red Meat to Your Diet Linked to Higher Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
Loading up on burgers and deli meats may be tempting, but too much red meat could trigger metabolic changes that upset the body’s glucose balance.
June 18, 2013 - Time.com via Yahoo! News
- Fantasy Football 2013: NFL Rookies Who You Should Refrain from Drafting
It may be very tempting to select a rookie in your fantasy football draft, but there are a few first-year players that you should nix from your big board. It’s understandable to have a couple of rookies on your roster. Maybe a guy was on your favorite college squad or maybe he impressed you in a bowl game. But you need to keep in mind that he might not be fantasy football material. There are a ...
June 17, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Alex Rodriguez in New York Post
It's tempting to sit back here and go back and forth with the media for the next three months but I'm not going to do that,Rodriguez said. "For us to be thinking about him and Oakland would be a disservice for us. We've got the Red Sox and...
- President Bush in Voice of America
It can be tempting to look at the challenges in Iraq and conclude our best option is to pack up and go home,President Bush said. "That may be satisfying in the short run, but I believe the consequences for American security would be...
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in International Herald Tribune
It is tempting any time things seem quieter for a minute on the international front to think that we don't need a president who is up to speed on foreign affairs and military matters,Clinton said.