- n wood in small pieces or splinters
- n a small thin sharp bit or wood or glass or metal
- v withdraw from an organization or communion
- v divide into slivers or splinters
- v break up into splinters or slivers
- Glass splinters, apparently from poison ampoules, were found in the mouths of both bodies.
- I mean, I've got splinters in my nose from the best publishing doors in town.
- Only splinters were left of more than $10,000 worth of glass; the whole north wall was smashed; tiles fell from the ceiling, and insulating material poured to the floor.
News & Articles
- Longleaf value
Across much of the rest of the Lowcountry, Hurricane Hugo tore pines to splinters nearly a quarter-century ago. But trees in the Longleaf Pine Heritage Preserve near Lynchburg simply bent over. The difference? The longleaf.
June 16, 2013 - The Post and Courier
- Family is the cell of all society
“As the family goes, so goes the future of humanity,” Blessed Pope John Paul II wrote. A marriage is the foundation of a family. His words ring true at even local levels if there is a breakdown of a marriage, the family splinters. If the marriage is strong, then the children are happier and healthier. It is then very important to note that the family is the cell of all society. After all what we ...
June 15, 2013 - Hibbing Daily Tribune
- Vacation Horror Stories: Stranded, Splinters and Smells
As part of our summer series, "Vacation Horror Stories," listener Erin Burke says her family is cursed with constant bad luck on its vacations: Rain on beach excursions, splinters in feet, locked vacation homes, and hotel rooms ripe with the smell of dead cats.
June 11, 2013 - NPR
- Julia Roberts in Edmonton Sun
We get a lot of splinters in our house,says Roberts, who stars in Duplicity with Clive Owen. "A splinter is just a good light, a pair of tweezers and a lot of singing songs and passing the time: La-la-la, now listen, if you eat all of your...
- Maurice Malpas in Sportinglife.com
Perhaps the most potent of these groups in the Pakistan-Afghan region is Lashkar-e-Taiba. It's an India-focused group, but along with splinters like Jaish-e-Muhammad, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and various cells that spin off from those, they've been able... Steve Coll http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Coll&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFQT-HHsBrzMbW9TVmc3hqiJtBjRw The Hindu http://www.google.com/url?q=http://beta.thehindu.com/news/international/article95879.ece&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNE-aBwcM0O3jmtrHaLSTqFjNJFzuQ Jan 27, 2010
93346 124093 splinters Malpas said: We are back to the bare bones again, but that is part and parcel of football, we have just got to get on with it. There is no point moaning about it. The ones that have been sitting on the bench getting splinters for a while, if they...