- n the act of perceiving the odor of something
- v inhale the odor of; perceive by the olfactory sense
- v emit an odor
- v smell bad
- v have an element suggestive (of something)
- v become aware of not through the senses but instinctively
- s (used with `of' or `with') noticeably odorous
- It's a pop play--and smelling it, everyone from Jay-Z to Robin Thicke jumped on board with contributions--but it's still weird enough to sound like underground Lil Wayne.
- But a more careful look reveals something else: acrid-smelling steam coming from the ground.
- Foul-smelling water mixed with coal had been running from Kenny Stroud's faucet for more than a decade before clean tap water was finally provided by the city of Rawl, West Virginia.
News & Articles
- Plane Carrying George W. Bush Diverted
A plane carrying President George W. Bush was diverted from Philadelphia to Louisville, Ky. Saturday night after the pilots reported smelling smoke on board, officials said. “The flight President Bush was on was diverted to Louisville, and after a brief stop there we made it...
June 16, 2013 - ABC News
- George W. Bush flight out of Philadelphia forced to make emergency landing
A plane carrying former President George W. Bush out of Philadelphia was forced to make an emergency landing overnight after the pilot reported smelling smoke, according to CNN.
June 16, 2013 - Philly.com
- A father's investment has happy returns
After a long day at his construction job, my father — tired, soiled and smelling faintly of gasoline — would settle in behind the wheel of his truck and follow the well-worn path back to his wife and children.From our house in Penryn, I watched with an eagle eye that spot on Newport Road...
June 16, 2013 - Lancaster Online
- Steve Kroft in San Francisco Chronicle
At a memorial service held in New York for Bradley, Kroft told of getting more than journalism lessons from him: "I learned a lot about friendship, manners, clothes, wine, freshly cut flowers ...... and the importance of stopping and smelling them...
- Tony La Russa in Forbes
I've learned over the years that we can both be in last place, the Cubs and Cardinals, and the fans are 100 percent excited,Cards manager Tony La Russa said. "The fact that we are both smelling first place, it adds significance. .........
- Steve Nash in Forbes
It's obviously not ideal to be on a bus for three hours and on a plane and come straight to the arena not smelling our best and not in our pressed linens,Nash said. "But that's the hand we were dealt. Maybe that did us in a bit tonight."