- n a general conscious awareness
a sense of security
a sense of happiness
a sense of danger
a sense of self
- n the meaning of a word or expression; the way in which a word or expression or situation can be interpreted
the dictionary gave several senses for the word
in the best sense charity is really a duty
- n the faculty through which the external world is apprehended
in the dark he had to depend on touch and on his senses of smell and hearing
- n sound practical judgment
Common sense is not so common
he hasn't got the sense God gave little green apples
fortunately she had the good sense to run away
- n a natural appreciation or ability
a keen musical sense
a good sense of timing
- v perceive by a physical sensation, e.g., coming from the skin or muscles
- v detect some circumstance or entity automatically
This robot can sense the presence of people in the room
particle detectors sense ionization
- v become aware of not through the senses but instinctively
I sense his hostility
- v comprehend
I sensed the real meaning of his letter
- Everybody knows that man has five senses.
- The legendary singer conveys truth, humor and a timeless sense of self.
- One really important thing for me is that he has a sense of who his father was as a person--his sense of humor and the kind of friend, husband and son that he was.
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
He said that it was "not based on any difference in policy" or "any sense of personal insult," but on his judgment that Gen. McChrystal had not upheld "the standard that should be set by a commanding general."
- David Petraeus in The Guardian
But he warned bluntly: "My sense is that the tough fighting will continue; indeed, it may get more intense in the next few months. As we take away the enemy's safe havens and reduce the enemy's freedom of action, the insurgents will fight back."
- Bobby Jindal in CTV.ca
They've used the war rhetoric,Jindal said. "If this is really a war, they need to be using every resource that makes sense to fight this oil before it comes to our coast."