- v look at with sentimentality or turn into an object of sentiment
Don't sentimentalize the past events
- v make (someone or something) sentimental or imbue with sentimental qualities
Too much poetry sentimentalizes the mind
These experiences have sentimentalized her
- v act in a sentimental way or indulge in sentimental thoughts or expression
- Anyone who would sentimentalize adolescence either is a fraud or has a bad memory.
- Yet caught between love and despair, Greenfeld re uses to sentimentalize his or his wife's deflected lives.
- He doesn't sentimentalize it or melodramatize it.
News & Articles
- Thor Hammers Dark Elves; `Thief' Twists Nazi Story: Film
There’s something disquieting (to put it politely) about movies that sentimentalize Nazi Germany, reassuring the audience that good people sternly disapproved of Hitler and cared about the fate of the Jews.
Nov. 8, 2013 - Bloomberg
- They’re Old-Fashioned: The Hot Sardines
I am put off by bands that sentimentalize the past. I’m thinking of those hokey ensembles whose repertoire consists of early jazz and blues that came out of New Orleans and Chicago in the 1920s. That music, as played by Sidney Bechet , Jelly Roll Morton , Louis Armstrong and their ilk, was serious stuff. It doesn’t need to be presented with so many spoonfuls of corn pone—in the form of Jazz Age ...
Nov. 8, 2013 - The New York Observer
- Werner Herzog in FOX11AZ.com
The attitude toward the wild and nature in Treadwell's videos and writings is quite interesting to me,Mr. Herzog said at the Sundance Film Festival. "It reflects a trend in modern society to sentimentalize nature and indicates that we have...
- Richard Stoltzman in Boston Globe (registration)
I think Peter especially feels like, man, you do something, you realize it, and you don't go back,says Stoltzman. "You go on to the next [thing] and don't try to sentimentalize."
- Pete Hamill in Wall Street Journal
I don't mean to sentimentalize it,Mr. Hamill says of the 15 years of austerity that ended in 1945. "I'm not someone who thinks poverty is an ennobling situation."