- n language or behavior intended to mock or humiliate
- n the act of deriding or treating with contempt
- v subject to laughter or ridicule
The satirists ridiculed the plans for a new opera house
- That he insisted on a 21-person security team drew ridicule from local residents and politicians, who were quick to note that even the mayor of Chicago, a city three times the size .
- Since 1914 she had battled ridicule and rigid laws, even gone to jail, all in pursuit of a simple, inexpensive contraceptive that would change women's livesand save some as well.
- As I wrote Tuesday, Fiorina's site was met with ridicule by the liberal netroots community, and CNN later reported that online conservatives -- who support her primary opponent .
News & Articles
- Bosh needs no apologies in Finals for Heat
by Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports SAN ANTONIO — Chris Bosh apologized to his teammates for his performance against the Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference finals. He gave the Miami Heat an F for their Game 3 loss against the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA Finals. He has been the subject of ridicule [...]
June 15, 2013 - HoopsWorld
- Guest Post: The Wisest Thing Ever Said By A Socialist...
Submitted by Simon Black of Sovereign Man blog , In 1919, a prominent socialist named Nicholas Klein addressed the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America Convention. And in describing their struggle, he told the crowd: “First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you.” (A version of this quote is frequently mis ...
June 14, 2013 - Zero Hedge
- This week in disappointment: greenways, guns and landfills
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win.—Mahatma Gandhi "Several hundred people—mostly white, angry, aged former hippies—appeared and screeched into microphones, talked about solidarity and chanted diatribes. It was 'liberal theater' at its best.
June 12, 2013 - Independent Weekly
- Roger Goodell in USA Today
In a letter to each player, Goodell wrote: "Your conduct has brought embarrassment and ridicule upon yourself, your club, and the NFL, and has damaged the reputation of players throughout the league. You have put in jeopardy an otherwise promising...
- Simon Hughes in guardian.co.uk
Simon Hughes, MP for North Southwark and Bermondsey in south London where Goody grew up, said: "Jade Goody was a Bermondsey girl who went from public ridicule and public rebukes to public respect and public sympathy."
- Richard Brodsky in FOXNews
The first thing he can and I think he will do is end the era of accusation and contempt and ridicule,said Democratic Assemblyman Richard Brodsky. "I think everyone will be better off because of it."