- n a feeling of profound respect for someone or something
the Chinese reverence for the dead
the French treat food with gentle reverence
- n a reverent mental attitude
- n an act showing respect (especially a bow or curtsy)
- v regard with feelings of respect and reverence; consider hallowed or exalted or be in awe of
- Silent and uncommunicative, she lay on her hospital bed fondling a shiny, new doll, fingering with reverence a holy picture pinned on her pillow.
- For a newly resurgent nation that wants to measure up to the West, Zhang, with her taste for traditionally-inspired dress and her reverence for ancient Chinese aphorisms, may very .
- His ability to wow the front-row crowd with a heady blend of street style and historical reverence is unparalleled.
News & Articles
- Domestic spying rages unchecked in post-9/11 world: Tim Rutten
Hypocrisy,according to Rochefaucauld's famous maxim, "is the homage vice pays to virtue." If that's true, then the reverence President Barack Obama and his aides hold for Americans' civil liberties knows no bounds.
June 14, 2013 - Los Angeles Daily News
- Zack Snyder, Making Superman Over For Our Era
In Man of Steel, the director behind Watchmen and 300 has had a go at that most quintessentially American superhero. He speaks with NPR's Linda Werthheimer about his reverence for the character's mythology — and why he chose to change some of it up.
June 14, 2013 - NPR
- Classic Albums Live: 'A Night at the Opera'
WHAT: The long-running concert series that presents iconic rock albums with the reverence of classical music returns with a salute to Queen's 1975 album, "A Night at the Opera." Long before it became an anthem on the "Wayne's World" movie soundtrack, the signature "Bohemian Rhapsody" dazzled with soaring vocals by Freddie Mercury (pictured), classical touches and muscular guitar. Queen's range ...
June 13, 2013 - Orlando Sentinel
- Tzipi Livni in ABC News
Livni says the "national responsibility (bestowed) by the public brings me to approach this job with great reverence."
- Carlos Queiroz in BBC Sport
I would like to express my great satisfaction to my players for the wonderful way they played, their great attitude, their reverence to the game,said Queiroz. "It was beautiful football, a great day for Portugal and Portuguese football....
- President Bush in Guardian Unlimited
Trent enjoyed bipartisan respect because of his reverence for the institutions of Congress and because Republicans and Democrats knew they could count on him to keep his commitments and his word,Bush said. "His immense talent will be...