- v turn away from sin or do penitence
- v feel remorse for; feel sorry for; be contrite about
- We don't repent for that.
- John Edwards seldom misses a chance to repent of his vote for the war, to highlight Hillary Clinton's refusal to do likewise.
- Day after day this spring he has called upon his fellow students to repent.
- Shinzo Abe in 940 News
They raised the alert too late. I have sent stern instructions that such alerts must be raised seriously and swiftly,Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe told reporters in Tokyo. "Those involved should repent their actions."
- Hamid Karzai in International Herald Tribune
Afghan Taliban are always welcome, they belong to this country ...... they are the sons of this soil,Karzai said. "As they repent, as they regret, as they want to come back to their own country, they are welcome."
- Martin Luther King in Stabroek News
As Martin Luther King said: "We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people" (1963).