- v substitute a person or thing for (another that is broken or inefficient or lost or no longer working or yielding what is expected)
He replaced the old razor blade
We need to replace the secretary that left a month ago
the insurance will replace the lost income
This antique vase can never be replaced
- v take the place or move into the position of
Smith replaced Miller as CEO after Miller left
Mary replaced Susan as the team's captain and the highest-ranked player in the school
- v put something back where it belongs
replace the book on the shelf after you have finished reading it
- v put in the place of another; switch seemingly equivalent items
the con artist replaced the original with a fake Rembrandt
- Oh-so-briefly interrupting staycation to note that Charles Gibson is retiring as host of ABC's evening newscast, to be replaced by Diane Sawyer, meaning that white-male TV anchors .
- A new report suggests that Americans are going to replace their knees and hips in greater numbers, and there might not be enough doctors to handle the deluge.
- In fact, battery technology at the time was nowhere near ready to replace the piston-powered engine.
News & Articles
- Labour loses election head after row over unions' role
By Peter Griffiths LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Labour Party leader suffered a setback in his fight to replace David Cameron as prime minister on Thursday when his election coordinator quit after a row over whether unions manipulated its selection of candidates. Less than two years before voters go to the polls, Tom Watson stepped down, saying in a letter to Ed Miliband that it was "better for ...
July 5, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- PennDOT to close Bryn Mawr Ave. to replace damaged drainage pipes
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has announced that Bryn Mawr Ave. will be closed between Route 3 (West Chester Pike) and Malin Road in Newtown Township, beginning Monday, July 8 to replace two damaged storm water drainage pipes.
July 5, 2013 - Marple Newtown County Press
- Edward Snowden Seeks Citizenship In Iceland, And Six Of Its Legislators Want To Help
The U.S. government may have left National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden stateless when it revoked his American passport. Now he wants to replace it with an Icelandic one, and a few supporters in that country's government want to help him.
July 4, 2013 - Forbes
- Barack Obama in Tehran Times
Government cannot and should not replace businesses as the true engine of growth and job creation,he said June 2 at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh.
- Scott Stanzel in International Herald Tribune
Today marks an important milestone in the Iraqi people's efforts to replace the rule of a tyrant with the rule of law,deputy White House press secretary Scott Stanzel told reporters aboard Air Force One to Texas, where Bush was to meet this...
- Simon Cowell in UK Net Guide
Turning to the audience, Cowell said: "Everybody asks who's going to replace me, who going to be the next judge. The truth is, you guys are the judge of this show and you've done an incredible job over the years."