- n buildings for carrying on industrial labor
they built a large plant to manufacture automobiles
- n (botany) a living organism lacking the power of locomotion
- n an actor situated in the audience whose acting is rehearsed but seems spontaneous to the audience
- n something planted secretly for discovery by another
the police used a plant to trick the thieves
he claimed that the evidence against him was a plant
- v put or set (seeds, seedlings, or plants) into the ground
Let's plant flowers in the garden
- v fix or set securely or deeply
He planted a knee in the back of his opponent
The dentist implanted a tooth in the gum
- v set up or lay the groundwork for
- v place into a river
- v place something or someone in a certain position in order to secretly observe or deceive
plant bugs in the dissident's apartment
- v put firmly in the mind
- Botanists realized again last week that "century plant" is a complete misnomer for the American aloe (Agave americana).
- General Motors' Lordstown, Ohio, plant is a hub of superlatives.
- Ethnobotanist Paul Alan Cox studies a plant in the Samoan rain forest, where, since his mother died of cancer in 1984, he has devoted his career to finding a cure for the disease.
News & Articles
- Plant Camp educates and entertains
HERNANDO- After a week of “Growing Future Gardeners,” Plant Camp will come to a close at Conger Park this Friday. Reminiscent of an episode of “Avatar: The Last Airbender,” the day camp explored the elements Earth, Wind, Fire and Water, in addition to learning about the Sun.
June 13, 2013 - DeSoto Times-Tribune
- Fukushima plant steps closer to fuel-rod removal
OKUMA, Japan (AP) — Damaged vehicles, twisted metal and other debris remain strewn about Japan's crippled nuclear power plant. Scores of black and gray pipes and hoses cover the ground, part of the makeshift system to pump water into the damaged reactors to keep them from overheating.
June 13, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Pa. plant awarded $4B Army helicopter contract
A Boeing Co. plant in suburban Philadelphia has been awarded a new five-year, $4 billion contract to make Chinook helicopters for the Army. The company says the deal will allow the Army to purchase up ...
June 12, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Michael Bloomberg in Reuters
While the bombs these terrorists attempted to plant tonight were -- unbeknownst to them -- fake, this latest attempt to attack our freedoms shows that the homeland security threats against New York City are sadly all too real,New York Mayor...
- Barack Obama in Independent
When a difficult decision has to be made on matters like where to open a new plant or what type of new car to make, the new GM, not the US government, will make that decision,Mr Obama said.
- Peter MacKay in CNN International
This isn't the 15th century. You can't go around the world and just plant flags and say 'We're claiming this territory',Canadian Foreign Minister Peter MacKay told CTV television.