- n a serious (sometimes fatal) infection of rodents caused by Yersinia pestis and accidentally transmitted to humans by the bite of a flea that has bitten an infected animal
- n any epidemic disease with a high death rate
- n a swarm of insects that attack plants
a plague of grasshoppers
- n any large scale calamity (especially when thought to be sent by God)
- n an annoyance
those children are a damn plague
- v cause to suffer a blight
- v annoy continually or chronically
- Greatest plague of World War I, if not the greatest in history, was the flu epidemic of 1918 which scourged every continent, almost every inhabited island.
- There are reports today of two deaths from pneumonic plague in western China.
- An engraving of plague victims during the 1574 siege of Leiden by the Spaniards.
News & Articles
- A look at disappearing bees
Colony collapse disorder continues to plague the bee population. It means honey bees are disappearing in alarming numbers. This is a big deal because, for one, bees play an important role in our food supply.
June 29, 2013 - Times News
- Giant mosquitoes expected to invade Fla.
Summers in Florida means beach trips, barbecues and bug bites. However, this year, giant mosquitoes are expected to invade. Biologists at Florida State University say mosquitoes 20 times the normal size are set to plague Florida, and have already been spotted in Seminole County. The insects, called gallinippers, don't carry diseases, but they feed all day rather than just at dawn and dusk. A ...
June 29, 2013 - WPXI Pittsburgh
- Spills Plague Canadian Pipeline Operators
Spills Plague Canadian Pipeline Operators
June 25, 2013 - The Motley Fool
- Anthony Weiner in Forbes
It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue... Mike Huckabee http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Huckabee&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEoSIK1vNSmaBjF6g8bzwLCkxvsCg Los Angeles Times http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-huckabee12dec12,0,5514341.story%3Fcoll%3Dla-home-center&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGNL0X25s5z4D9CSkZW3T4oajAKeA Dec 11, 2007
74975 101053 plague This is an issue that's vexed Washington for a while. Now it's spread its plague to Albany and I think the governor learned the lesson that immigration has become the new third rail of politics," said Rep. Anthony Weiner, a New York City Democrat.
- Kirstie Alley in Reuters India
The weight-loss field is wide open and not immune to new ideas and improved solutions for the fat problems that plague many of us Americans every day,Alley said in a statement.