- n machine consisting of a heavy bar that moves vertically for pounding or crushing ores
- n a heavy tool of stone or iron (usually with a flat base and a handle) that is used to grind and mix material (as grain or drugs or pigments) against a slab of stone
- n a club-shaped hand tool for grinding and mixing substances in a mortar
- v grind, mash or pulverize in a mortar
pestle the garlic
- School-yard bullies have psychologically ground children with apparently gay or lesbian sexual orientation in the cruel mortar and pestle of school-yard prejudice.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound them coarsely.
- This tapping, it turns out, isn't tapping as much as really hard, fast banging on the bones around my eyes, jaw and nose with a stone pestle, for about half an hour.
News & Articles
- Take the Super Quiz
Take the Super Quiz Take the Super Quiz Take this Super Quiz to a Ph.D. Score 1 point for each correct answer on the Freshman Level, 2 points on the Graduate Level and 3 points on the Ph.D. What would you do with the given item? e.g., Pestle. Grind or mash a substance. Make holes (in wood or leather). 18 points — congratulations, doctor; 15 to 17 points — honors graduate; 10 to 14 points — you ...
June 17, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Alice Sebold in Los Angeles Times
I was the mortar,Sebold writes, in Susie's voice. "He was the pestle."
- Marcus Samuelsson in Globe and Mail
Get in touch with your food,Samuelsson writes. "Use a mortar and pestle instead of a mixer, put aside the measuring cups and spoons and instead use a handful here and a pinch there. Try eating with your hands, African-style."