- v cause to open or to become open
Mary opened the car door
- v start to operate or function or cause to start operating or functioning
- v become open
The door opened
- v begin or set in action, of meetings, speeches, recitals, etc.
He opened the meeting with a long speech
- v spread out or open from a closed or folded state
- v make available
- v become available
an opportunity opened up
- v have an opening or passage or outlet
- v make the opening move
Kasparov opened with a standard opening
- v afford access to
- v display the contents of a file or start an application as on a computer
- a used of mouth or eyes
his mouth slightly opened
- s made open or clear
the newly opened road
- s not sealed or having been unsealed
the opened package lay on the table
- Keller is shocked at how popular burgers are, having opened his Las Vegas Burger Bar only as a favor to Mandalay Bay hotel and casino, which also houses his second Fleur de Lys .
- It was only then that he opened up on the over 100 defenseless worshippers, killing five more, wounding seven, creating martyrs.
- Las Vegas casino titan Steve Wynn, who opened the Wynn Macau luxury hotel and casino in the city in 2006, plans to offer 25% of his Macau operations in an IPO on the Hong Kong .
News & Articles
- Police: Drunken man tried to enter a Stewart's Shop before it opened, then climbed into employee's car
STILLWATER — New York State Police arrested a drunken 23-year-old after he attempted to enter a Stewart’s Shop before it opened and then fell asleep in an employee’s vehicle.
June 18, 2013 - The Saratogian
- List of famous Second City alumni through 1985
CHICAGO (AP) — Ever since The Second City opened in December 1959, the Chicago comedy theater co-founded by Bernie Sahlins has helped produce some of the world's most famous comedians. Many followed their Chicago runs by landing cast roles in "Saturday Night Live," while others have jumped to TV sitcoms, talk shows or movies.
June 17, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Cave Inn BBQ has opened in Winter Garden
Cave Inn BBQ, a family-owned restaurant with a cave man theme has opened at 13848 Tilden Road in Winter Garden. The mission is "mammoth-sized portions with evolutionary tastes." From 1-5 p.m. Saturday, June 22, the west Orange County eatery will host a grand opening with free food samples and giveaways.
June 16, 2013 - Orlando Sentinel
- President Bush in Reuters
The surge has done more than turn the situation in Iraq around -- it has opened the door to a major strategic victory in the broader war on terror,Bush said, hailing increased cooperation of Iraqi Sunnis in fighting al Qaeda.
- John McCain in Seattle Times
The dramatic reduction in violence has opened the way for a return to something approaching normal political and economic life for the average Iraqi,McCain said, making the case for staying in order to take advantage of the gains.