afford : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v be able to spare or give up
I can't afford to spend two hours with this person
- v be the cause or source of
Our meeting afforded much interesting information
- v have the financial means to do something or buy something
We can't afford to send our children to college
Can you afford this car?
- v afford access to
- We can't afford to keep spending $10 billion a month in Iraq while the Iraqi government sits on a surplus.
- This is an incentive for banks to modify the terms of the loan so people can afford them.
- Because Iran's government cannot afford to further alienate the young people that comprise more than 35% of its population.
News & Articles
- What Can You Afford: House, Car or Vacation?
Summer can be a big season for splurges, including escapes to the beach, a new set of wheels or even a new home. If you're trying to decide which of these purchases you might be able to afford, consider this: They all come with hidden costs. We asked money experts to identify them, along with common mistakes consumers make when it comes to their buying decisions.
June 11, 2013 - U.S.News & World Report LP via Yahoo! News
- Fewer 'food insecure', but many still struggle to afford meals on Treasure Coast
STUART — Food insecurity dropped on the Treasure Coast this year, but almost 100,000 residents, including many children and senior citizens, struggle to afford meals in the area.
June 11, 2013 - St. Lucie News Tribune
- Man struggles to afford funeral for wife after Scott County flood
A man struggles to afford a proper funeral for his wife, who died in rushing water last week in Scott County.
June 9, 2013 - KHBS - KHOG Fort Smith - Fayetteville
- Barack Obama in Politico
This isn't about me,Obama said. "This debate is about the letters I read when I sit in the Oval Office every day, and the stories I hear at town hall meetings.This debate is not a game for these Americans, and they cannot afford to wait...
- Mark Udall in The Associated Press
We can't afford the leak that's now occurring. We certainly couldn't afford additional leaks in the future,Udall said.
- Robert Gates in Malaysia Sun
US 'Simply Cannot Afford to Fail in Middle East,' Gates Says December 18, 2006 - The United States "simply cannot afford to fail in the Middle East," incoming Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said during his swearing-in ceremony at the Pentagon...