spread : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n process or result of distributing or extending over a wide expanse of space
- n a conspicuous disparity or difference as between two figures
the spread between lending and borrowing costs
- n farm consisting of a large tract of land along with facilities needed to raise livestock (especially cattle)
- n a haphazard distribution in all directions
- n a tasty mixture to be spread on bread or crackers or used in preparing other dishes
- n a meal that is well prepared and greatly enjoyed
they put out quite a spread
- n two facing pages of a book or other publication
- n the expansion of a person's girth (especially at middle age)
she exercised to avoid that middle-aged spread
- n decorative cover for a bed
- n act of extending over a wider scope or expanse of space or time
- v distribute or disperse widely
The invaders spread their language all over the country
- v become distributed or widespread
the infection spread
Optimism spread among the population
- v spread across or over
A big oil spot spread across the water
- v spread out or open from a closed or folded state
spread your arms
- v cause to become widely known
- v become widely known and passed on
the rumor spread
- v strew or distribute over an area
He spread fertilizer over the lawn
- v move outward
- v cover by spreading something over
spread the bread with cheese
- v distribute over a surface in a layer
spread cheese on a piece of bread
- s distributed or spread over a considerable extent
eleven million Jews are spread throughout Europe
- s prepared or arranged for a meal; especially having food set out
a table spread with food
- s fully extended in width
with arms spread wide
- Something called spread betting is a new kind of investment strategy.
- As the H1N1 swine flu continues to spread across the world, health officials caution that travel bans will do little to stave off an approaching pandemic.
- But the Razorbacks' offense (97th nationally) isn't up to par with the Sooners' defense, thus the second-largest spread of the bowl season.
News & Articles
- 'Crazy' ants spread in Florida
The spread of the so-called "crazy ant" is showing no signs of slowing in Florida, according to a new study by the University of Texas at Austin. Researchers say the ants have invaded at least 20 counties in Florida. The "Tawny crazy ants" originated in South America and were first spotted in the United States in 2002. According to the study published in Biological Invasions, the ants invade ...
June 11, 2013 - Local 6 Orlando
- Oil companies may spread dollar purchases in FX markets - adviser
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Oil refining companies have agreed to spread their dollar purchases in the foreign exchange markets as much as possible to reduce pressures on the rupee, the chief economic advisor ...
June 11, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! Finance
- UN goal to halt spread of AIDS will be met by 2015
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says the overall U.N. goal of halting and reversing the spread of AIDS will be met by the target date of 2015.
June 10, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in FOXNews
This provocation underscores the need for action -- not just this afternoon at the UN Security Council, but in our determination to prevent the spread of these weapons. Rules must be binding. Violations must be punished,Obama said in a speech...
- Sarah Palin in CNN International
Those were taken out of context and that's cruel,Palin said. "It's mean-spirited. It's immature. It's unprofessional and those guys are jerks if they came away with it, taking things out of context, and then tried to spread something on...
- Sir Richard Dannatt in The Guardian
He told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme: "The intention when we went into southern Afghanistan was to try to get the country on its feet economically. We all know it didn't turn out that way. We spread our small resources thinly and that inevitably...