- n a common nonmetallic element that is normally a colorless odorless tasteless inert diatomic gas; constitutes 78 percent of the atmosphere by volume; a constituent of all living tissues
- Since nitrogen can neither be seen nor smelled, the five technicians were overcome before they were aware of the danger.
- Linde and Air Products both have developed liquid-nitrogen tanks that keep food trucks cold even when doors are endlessly opened and closed.
- Agricultural fertilizer byproducts like nitrogen are running off farms and into the Mississippi River, which then spills out into the Gulf of Mexico.
News & Articles
- Nitrogen tank bursts, killing 1, injuring 5 in La.
A container ruptured at a Louisiana nitrogen plant, killing one person and injuring at least five others, a day after a chemical plant explosion killed two people in the same parish, authorties said.
June 15, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Watch Flowers Dipped in Liquid Nitrogen Get Smashed in Slow Motion
If you're a human, you've probably always been fascinated with liquid nitrogen. The freezing temperature. The sweet smoking effect. Hell, even the container that held liquid nitrogen was cool. And if you combine liquid nitrogen with slow motion, things get even better. Watch flowers and fruit get dipped into liquid nitrogen and then smashed into smithereens in slow motion. It's like seeing ...
June 15, 2013 - Gizmodo
- 1 killed in blast at La. nitrogen plant
Authorities with Louisiana State Police said an explosion at a nitrogen plant in Donaldsonville on Friday has claimed one life. Officials said eight people were hurt when workers were pressurizing a vessel with nitrogen and over-pressurized it, which led to the blast at the CF Industries Donaldsonville Nitrogen Complex. Two of the victims were critically injured and flown by helicopter to a ...
June 15, 2013 - WAPT Jackson
- Lamar Alexander in International Herald Tribune
It is important to remember the Smokies has among the highest levels of ozone or smog in the eastern United States, either inside or outside a national park,Alexander said. "And it has one of the highest rates of sulfur and nitrogen...
- Anna Bligh in The Age
An 80 per cent reduction in run off of fertiliser nitrogen would buy the Great Barrier Reef as much as 65 to 70 years before catastrophic bleaching becomes a regular event,Ms Bligh said. "I want my grandchildren to see this natural wonder,...
- John Adler in Press of Atlantic City
There are literally thousands of storm-water basins, many of which are inadequately maintained or improperly designed and are not working to filter out nitrogen and other pollutants,Adler said.