- a (superlative of `many' used with count nouns and often preceded by `the') quantifier meaning the greatest in number
who has the most apples?
most people like eggs
most fishes have fins
- a the superlative of `much' that can be used with mass nouns and is usually preceded by `the'; a quantifier meaning the greatest in amount or extent or degree
made the most money he could
what attracts the most attention?
made the most of a bad deal
- r used to form the superlative
the king cobra is the most dangerous snake
- r very
a most welcome relief
- r (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but
the baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded
we're almost finished
most everyone agrees
- Our fifth annual list of the world's most influential people: leaders, thinkers, heroes, artists, scientists and more.
- Couldn't make it to the big bash celebrating the most influential people in the world? Joel Stein was there, welcoming everyone from an Egyptian activist and a Nobel Prize winning .
- Profiles the 100 most influential people of the 20th century (as selected by PTI Magazine) in five fields of endeavor.
- Barack Obama in San Francisco Chronicle
I take my share of the blame for not explaining it more clearly to the American people,Obama said. "I know that with all the lobbying and horse-trading, the process left most Americans wondering, 'What's in it for me?' "
- Joe Barton in The Associated Press
Rep. Ed Markey disagreed, saying it was "not a slush fund, not a shakedown. ...... It was the government of the United States working to protect the most vulnerable citizens that we have in our country right now, the residents of the Gulf."
- Elena Kagan in CBS News
What I most took away from those experiences was simple admiration for the democratic process,she said. "The Supreme Court, of course, has the responsibility of ensuring that our government never oversteps its proper bounds or violates the...