- n a structure erected to commemorate persons or events
- n an important site that is marked and preserved as public property
- n a burial vault (usually for some famous person)
- Protect the monument!" shouts "Meadow Woman," an activist who is wearing a 10-ft.
- In the little village of Steenstrat, a grave and august group of French, British and Belgian notables unveiled a monument last week to the 39,000 French and British victims of .
- Unofortunately for the monuments opponents, the race to halt its construction appears to have hit a brick wall.
- Mitch McConnell in The Hill (blog)
McConnell said the ceremony helps "tell the rest of the story ...... to acknowledge the profound indignity that the slaves who helped clear this land and lay these stones must have suffered in building this great monument to freedom; to remind...
- Samuel Alito in International Herald Tribune
Alito said "the display of a permanent monument in a public park" requires a different analysis.
- Antonin Scalia in Church Executive Magazine
Pleasant Grove City "can safely exhale," Scalia wrote. "Its residents and visitors can now return to enjoying Pioneer Park 's wishing well, its historic granary -- and, yes, even its Ten Commandments monument -- without fear that they are...