monopoly : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (economics) a market in which there are many buyers but only one seller
a monopoly on silver
when you have a monopoly you can ask any price you like
- n exclusive control or possession of something
They have no monopoly on intelligence
- n a board game in which players try to gain a monopoly on real estate as pieces advance around the board according to the throw of a die
- A recent investigation of the radio industry by the Federal Trade Commission has resulted in the issuance of a complaint by that body, that a monopoly in radio apparatus has .
- With his Chinese aides and "monopoly police" he took over and expanded the Japanese system of government industrial and trade monopoly (sugar, camphor, tea, paper, chemicals, oil .
- And Microsoft continues to be enormously profitable, thanks to its operating system monopoly.
News & Articles
- How Samsung could develop the 21st century’s answer to Bell Labs
Sorry, Google, but you may not hold a monopoly on researching far-out technologies that may not even help your core business in the future. Forbes contributor Haydn Shaughnessy notes that Samsung has started investing substantial sums of money into science and technology research for an ecosystem that may never see the light of day. In particular, he says that Samsung has said it will invest $1 ...
June 13, 2013 - BGR News via Yahoo! News
- NY Minute: Gov. Andrew Cuomo stumps in Syracuse for campaign finance reform
Cayuga Nation tries to stop Oneida nation casino monopoly; Seneca Indian Nation comes to the table.
June 13, 2013 - The Post-Standard
- Monopoly on hospital surgical services called into question
Dr. Bill Rodman has held a monopoly on surgical services at Aspen Valley Hospital for nearly 20 years and at the time he arrived in 1993, the deal was inked so it would guarantee he’d have an income and the community would have a surgeon. read more
June 11, 2013 - Aspen Daily News
- Barack Obama in BusinessWeek
We can't continue to spend as if deficits don't have consequences, as if waste doesn't matter, as if the hard-earned tax dollars of the American people can be treated like Monopoly money,Obama said Dec. 21 at the White House.
- John McCain in Bloomberg
Instead of playing favorites, our government should level the playing field for all alcohol fuels that break the monopoly of gasoline, lowering both gasoline prices and carbon emissions,McCain said.
- Bruce Springsteen in PC Magazine
The one thing that would make the current ticket situation even worse for the fan than it is now would be Ticketmaster and Live Nation coming up with a single system, thereby returning us to a near monopoly situation in music ticketing,...