mistrial : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a trial that is invalid or inconclusive
- A possible mistrial in theSusan Smithmurder trial was thrown out by Circuit Judge William Howard, who ruled that an accidental contact between a juror and a member of the Smith .
- After declaring a mistrial in the Tacoma proceedings, Judge Boldt summarily convicted the seven of contempt, and ordered them to serve one or more six-month jail terms.
- Justice Hitz apparently felt that a mistrial ruling was in order.
News & Articles
- Mistrial declared in case on abuse
Dain Sansome’s sex abuse trial ended in a mistrial on Wednesday, after the prosecution accused the defense of making an “inflammatory remark” to jurors about the inappropriately sexualized behavior of a child witness.
June 13, 2013 - Albany Democrat-Herald
- Mistrial denied in ex-cop's murder case
The lead detective investigating the death of ex-cop Levi Chavez's wife took the stand Wednesday, but his testimony was interrupted when Chavez's attorney asked for a mistrial.
June 13, 2013 - KRQE & KASA FOX 2 Albuquerque
- Mistrial in sex abuse case
Mistrial in sex abuse case Times Union Copyright 2013 Times Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 5:20 pm, Monday, June 10, 2013 Just before opening arguments were to begin, according to court officials, Assistant District Attorney Shane Hug informed Judge Debra Young that Wolf's counsel, Tim Nugent, had handed him a ...
June 10, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Judge Alex Kozinski in USA Today
In light of the public controversy surrounding my involvement in this case, I have concluded that there is a manifest necessity to declare a mistrial,said Kozinski, chief judge for the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. "I will recuse myself...
- Charlie Weis in Boston Globe (registration)
After the mistrial, it would have been easy to simply let the malpractice lawsuit fade away,Weis said in the statement. "We decided that for all people who are frowned upon by prejudice or bias, we had to take this case to closure."
- Greta Van Susteren in WAPT
It simply is not fair -- in law, this would create a mistrial,said Fox News personality Greta Van Susteren on her Web site.