- n an explosion that fails to occur
- n a failure to hit (or meet or find etc)
- v fail to fire or detonate
The guns misfired
- Quentin Tarantino's revisionist World War II epic Inglourious Basterds is an ambitious misfire.
- But the least regrettable aspect of this 1999 misfire is probably the erstwhile rapper's bouncy, Stevie Wondersampling theme song.
- Before the 2000 election, the only case of electoral college misfire occurred in 1888, but there have been seemingly murky elections in the years since.
News & Articles
- 'Monsters University' partially redeems Pixar
''Monsters University'' is neither a bold return to form for Pixar nor another misfire. As directed by Dan Scanlon (a Clawson native who once competed in the Michigan Student Film and Video Festival), it's just pleasant, amiably animated family entertainment.
June 20, 2013 - Detroit Free Press
- Latest adaptation of Superman, Man of Steel, could use a little more luster
Zack Snyder had a relatively low glass ceiling to break in terms of making a better adaptation of the famed Superman franchise after the misfire that was 2006’s Superman Returns. Man of Steel manages to crack a hole just big enough to bring the franchise’s reputation out of mediocrity.
June 17, 2013 - Old Gold & Black
- Tony Blair in guardian.co.uk
Yes, they are better now at the tactics of using media and parliament to harry the government, but, every time they are called on to make a big judgment call on policy, they misfire,Mr Blair said. "New Labour made the Tories lose their...
- AJ Hinch in MLB.com
Whatever happens at the plate is created by what happens on the rubber and it's important to be able to make the adjustments on the fly,Hinch said. "It's not against the rules to misfire a couple times, but you have to have the ability to...
- Bill Auberlen in Motorsport.com
My stint was just pure perfection,Auberlen said. "The car was good and the setup was good. We didn't have much time to work on the setup because we were going from rain to dry in the practice sessions and we experienced a misfire during...