misery : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a state of ill-being due to affliction or misfortune
the misery and wretchedness of those slums is intolerable
- n a feeling of intense unhappiness
she was exhausted by her misery and grief
- The misery index that Jimmy Carter first referred to during the 1976 campaign, and that Ronald Reagan keeps citing in his attacks on the President, was concocted during the 1973-75 .
- But their misery is real and acute.
News & Articles
- Nationwide makes SSDs standard on PCs, to employee applause
Computerworld - LAS VEGAS -- Nationwide Insurance is moving off Windows XP and the misery of an eight-minute boot-up time for some 40,000 users. It is building systems that use 256 GB SSDs and that have anywhere from 8 GB to 16 GB of RAM, depending on employee need.
June 13, 2013 - Computerworld
- Mom Kills Autistic Son With Kitchen Knife
An Illinois mom is in custody for allegedly stabbing her severely autistic son to death. Dorothy Spourdalakis said that her son’s condition kept getting worse and that she just wanted to put him out of his misery. The 50-year-old allegedly had family friend Jolanta Agatha Skrodzka help her kill her son. Spourdalakis first tried to give [...] Mom Kills Autistic Son With Kitchen Knife is a post ...
June 13, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- Halfords: Condition Red - Drivers Warned as Pollen Count Peaks
Millions of motorists who suffer from hay fever are being warned to take extra care when driving as allergy experts predict weeks of misery ahead.
June 12, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- Condoleezza Rice in Reuters
McCormack said Washington was working toward a cease-fire that would not allow for a re-establishment of the status quo, "where Hamas can continue to launch rockets out of Gaza and to condemn the people of Gaza to a life of misery."
- Phil Gramm in LSU The Reveille
We have sort of become a nation of whiners,Gramm told the Washington Times. "You just hear this constant whining, complaining about a loss of competitiveness, America in decline. Misery sells newspapers. Thank God the economy is not as bad...
- David Obey in BusinessWeek
Murtha "understood the misery of war," Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey, a Wisconsin Democrat, said in a statement. "Every person who serves in the military has lost an advocate and a good friend today."