middle ages :
- n the period of history between classical antiquity and the Italian Renaissance
- n the time of life between youth and old age (e.g., between 40 and 60 years of age)
News & Articles
- Scientists Go Medieval To Solve Ancient Leprosy Puzzle
Look through a series of 15th century woodcuts, and you'll find that the leper is as much an icon of medieval art as the crown or the cross. Leprosy was so common in Europe during the Middle Ages that it's estimated 1 in 30 people was infected with the bacteria. But by the turn of the 16th...
June 14, 2013 - Georgia Public Broadcasting
- Discover an Apprenticeship That's Right for You
Apprenticeships have been around since the Middle Ages, training individuals in a specific skill set and setting them up to have successful careers in the trades. They are as common today as they were hundreds of years ago -- but today's apprenticeships are a bit more formal.
June 13, 2013 - U.S.News & World Report LP via Yahoo! News
- Leprosy remarkably unchanged from medieval times
Tanya LewisLiveScienceLeprosy is much less common today than it was during the Middle Ages, but the bacterium that causes this debilitating disease has hardly changed since then, a new study finds. Researchers sequenced the surprisingly well-preserved genome of the leprosy bacterium in skeletons exhumed from medieval graves in Europe. It's the first time an ancient genome has been sequenced ...
June 13, 2013 - NBC NEWS