- n shad-like North American marine fishes used for fish meal and oil and fertilizer
- The menhaden, a fish that can produce 700,000 eggs at the flip of a gill, was long one of the leading population exploders in the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.
- For decades the oil-rig roughnecks and menhaden fishermen who have made their living on this fragile shore have seen drilling and dredging kill off the surrounding marshes and .
- Fishermen also reported sick fish, particularly menhaden, whose schooling habits make them especially vulnerable.
News & Articles
- Dead fish washing up on Eastern Shore
NORTHAMPTON COUNTY - Thousands of dead fish are floating in the water and coming ashore in Northampton County. Photos from 13News viewer in Nassawaddox show the fishkill in Nassawaddox Creek just south of Silver Beach. He said the menhaden appeared Tuesday morning and are creating an awful smell. John Bull, spokesman for the Va. Marine Resources Commission, says a small commercial operation ...
June 19, 2013 - 13 News, WVEC Hampton Roads
- Wayne Gilchrest in Salisbury Daily Times
Menhaden are filter feeders, helping to rid the bay of algae, which suffocates underwater grasses and causes dead zones in the bay,Gilchrest said in a statement. "The species is also an important source of food for striped bass and blue...
- Jim Saxton in Cape May County Herald
Menhaden are a poster-fish for why we need to consider the ecosystem in the way we manage our fisheries,Saxton said at the hearing. "More research and studies are needed to determine the health of menhaden populations, and what level is a...