- n a republic on the Maldive Islands; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1965
- n a group of about 1,200 small coral islands (about 220 inhabited) in the Indian ocean
News & Articles
- Partially-Undersea Water Discus Hotel To Be Built In the Maldives
Zothecula writes "Polish architectural and deep-sea engineering company Deep Ocean Technology has inked a deal with Ridgewood Hotels and Suites Pvt. Ltd. to build its futuristic part-underwater Water Discus Hotel just off the shore of Kuredhivaru Island in the Maldives. 'The luminous hotel features two large disc-shaped lounges seven-meters above the water, housing a luxury restaurant and spa ...
June 12, 2013 - Slashdot
- President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom in FOXNews
We want to bring reform to the Maldives, reform that leaves no room for other religions,Gayoom told a cheering crowd of around 4,000 wearing white headbands. "Maldivians want change, but good change."
- Nikolay Davydenko in Reuters South Africa
I fly to the Maldives on Sunday for one week for a rest,said Davydenko, who this week won his appeal against a $2,000 fine for not trying hard enough during a match.
- Mohamed Nasheed in San Francisco Chronicle
I wish to assure the public and the international community that the transition to democracy in the Maldives will be smooth and uninterrupted in governance,said Nasheed, who smiled, shook hands and joked with his former rival as they...