- n the property of relative size or extent (whether large or small)
they tried to predict the magnitude of the explosion
about the magnitude of a small pea
- n a number assigned to the ratio of two quantities; two quantities are of the same order of magnitude if one is less than 10 times as large as the other; the number of magnitudes that the quantities differ is specified to within a power of 10
- n relative importance
a problem of the first magnitude
- Still unknown is whether there is any significance to the fact that the magnitude-3 quake had a much longer pre-seismic signal than the lower-magnitude quake, or whether it was .
- The activity relaxed in magnitude early this week but then flexed upward again to top 3.
- A tsunami swept into Pago Pago in American Samoa shortly after an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.
News & Articles
- Magnitude-5.7 quake shakes central Chile
A magnitude-5.7 earthquake shook central Chile on Wednesday, causing buildings to sway in the capital but apparently causing no major damage.
June 19, 2013 - Fox News
- Magnitude 5.7 quake hits central Chile, no damage reported
SANTIAGO (Reuters) - A magnitude 5.7 earthquake hit the central Chilean region of Valparaiso at 5:30 p.m. (1730 ET) on Wednesday, causing buildings to sway in the nearby capital of Santiago but no reports of damage. The quake struck 68 miles north-northeast of Santiago at a depth of 62 miles, the U.S. Geological Survey said. It hit close to the border with Argentina's Mendoza region. Chile's ...
June 19, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Magnitude-3.1 Earthquake Rattles Inland Empire
REDLANDS, Calif. (KTLA) — A magnitude-3.1 earthquake struck in San Bernardino County Wednesday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The quake was centered three miles south of Redlands when it hit just around 12:10 p.m. The shaking was reportedly felt …
June 19, 2013 - KTLA-TV Los Angeles
- Linda Lingle in Los Angeles Times
It would be a mistake to allow a decision of this magnitude to be made by one individual or a small group of elected officials,she said.
- Barack Obama in Newsday
Legislation of such magnitude deserves the scrutiny that it's received over the last month, and it will receive more in the days to come,Obama said. "But we can't afford to make perfect the enemy of the absolutely necessary. The scale and...
- Jerry Reese in New York Times
Dr. Rodeo believes Plaxico would be out at least four to six weeks with the gunshot wound,Reese said in a statement. "I had two conversations with Plaxico today, and it was obvious that he understood the magnitude of this situation. He...