- n a mistake in printed matter resulting from mechanical failures of some kind
- s being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something
a literal solitude like a desert"- G.K.Chesterton
- s without interpretation or embellishment
a literal depiction of the scene before him
- a limited to the explicit meaning of a word or text
a literal translation
- s avoiding embellishment or exaggeration (used for emphasis)
it's the literal truth
- Last fall, Funny or Die came out with a series of literal videos 1980s pop songs repurposed with new lyrics that gave a play-by-play narrative of their occasionally absurdist .
- A literal version of Bonnie Tyler's '80s magnum opus .
- Architecture is a profession in which the cube and sphere are still the literal building blocks.
News & Articles
- Dodgers-Diamondbacks Brawl Shows Mattingly and Company Have Fight Left in Them
In the literal sense, Tuesday night's brawl in Los Angeles could turn out to be costly for the Dodgers when suspensions are handed down. For the one victory they achieved, vital players, including those on the disabled list, could be lost for more time. Yet the melee in Chavez Ravine showed fight, toughness and grit left in this beaten, injured and battered group of Dodgers. While narratives and ...
June 12, 2013 - Bleacher Report
- Incredible India — Indian Students Association educates, feeds, entertains
Students and community members alike had a literal taste of India and a glimpse of traditional dance during the annual India Night event Sunday in the University of Idaho Student Union Building ballroom. The Indian Student’s ...
June 12, 2013 - The Argonaut
- Mad Women: 'I'm Not Your Boyfriend'
Mad Men episode titles have been especially literal this season, haven't they? "Favors," last night's episode, falls in the same naming vein as the previous week's "A Tale of Two Cities," in which the allusions are evident from the start. Can people do things for other people without expectations in return? What's in a favor, anyway? (Plenty.)
June 10, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire via Yahoo! News
- Gord Ash in ESPN
They work out today. He won't work out and probably will not play tomorrow just as a precaution. This is one of these literal day-to-day [injuries],Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said. "We'll reconnect tomorrow, see how he is...
- David Garrow in San Diego Union Tribune
This is the Kennedy court in the most literal, substantive extensive way,Garrow said, adding that Kennedy continued to have a moderating effect on the other conservatives.
- James Madison in WorldNetDaily
The Constitution's father, James Madison said: "With respect to the two words 'general welfare,' I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a...