- a not fake or counterfeit
a genuine Picasso
- s not pretended; sincerely felt or expressed
- s being or reflecting the essential or genuine character of something
a genuine dilemma
- After so many years in Washington, I had met enough people to quickly figure out who is genuine and who is there for show.
- It is one of history's great ironies that the nearest thing we have ever seen to a genuine workers' revolution was directed against a so-called workers' state.
- Visitors were urged to fill out questionnaires identifying unlabeled fakes and genuine pictures; of 1,827 including some experts only seven scored 100%.
News & Articles
- U.S. Open at Merion will start to unfold
The affection was genuine. Even better was beating Jack Nicklaus in a playoff. So when Lee Trevino got his hands on that U.S. Open trophy in 1971, the guy who never lacked for one-liners gushed, "I love Merion, and I don't even know her last name."
June 13, 2013 - Denver Post
- People anticipate others' genuine smiles, but not polite smiles
Smile and the world smiles with you -- but new research suggests that not all smiles are created equal. The research shows that people actually anticipate smiles that are genuine but not smiles that are merely polite. The differing responses may reflect the unique social value of genuine smiles.
June 12, 2013 - Science Daily
- The mystery of Merion starts to unfold at US Open
ARDMORE, Pa. (AP) -- The affection was genuine. Even better was beating Jack Nicklaus in a playoff. So when Lee Trevino got his hands on that U.S. Open trophy in 1971, the guy who never lacked for one-liners gushed, ''I love Merion, and I don't even know her last name.''
June 12, 2013 - The Associated Press via Yahoo! Sports
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in Reuters India
The United States has refrained from commenting on the election in Iran. We obviously hope that the outcome reflects the genuine will and desire of the Iranian people,said Clinton, on a short visit to Canada.
- Mitch McConnell in Los Angeles Times
It is my hope that the majority's avowed interest in improving this legislation on the Senate floor is genuine and the partisan gamesmanship is over,said Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), promising "many amendments."
- Raymond Domenech in Los Angeles Times
It's the hard and harsh reality of our situation,he said. "So I have a genuine sense of sadness."