- v make more cheerful
the conversation lightened me up a bit
- v reduce the weight on; make lighter
she lightened the load on the tired donkey
- v become more cheerful
after a glass of wine, he lightened up a bit
- v make lighter or brighter
- v become lighter
The room lightened up
- v alleviate or remove (pressure or stress) or make less oppressive
lighten the burden of caring for her elderly parents
- If all that feels a bit too heavy, there are plenty of sites happy to lighten things up.
- The blasts turn to laughs soon after when, to lighten the mood, Gibson has the crew bring out a stuffed jaguar and leads the extras running away in mock terror.
- If I make the same blunder on the D40, I could lighten up the shots right on the camera, which saves the edited image as a separate file, in case you don't like the fix.