- n a relatively narrow strip of land (with water on both sides) connecting two larger land areas
- n a cord-like tissue connecting two larger parts of an anatomical structure
- Last week the Finns rushed troops north from the isthmus and in a surprise attack recaptured Salla, cutting this Russian column off from its base, leaving it marooned somewhere .
- At first glance the five Muslim provinces at the tip of the Thai isthmus are some of the sleepiest communities in this largely Buddhist country.
- Police and court structures on the isthmus seem almost useless to most citizens; homicide rates are the highest in the western hemisphere and conviction rates among the lowest.
News & Articles
- Tweets from Wisconsin Assembly floor during debate over abortion bills
The Wisconsin passed three bills Thursday on party lines that restrict abortion rights in Wisconsin. Isthmus news editor Judith Davidoff captured some of the frequently-emotional debate on Twitter and her updates have been collected here.
June 14, 2013 - Isthmus
- Dying bees, Medicaid, Mystery to Me, summer cocktails in the June 14 issue of Isthmus
What can you find in this week's Isthmus ? Highlights from the latest issue follow.
June 13, 2013 - Isthmus
- Cast your ballot for Madison's Favorites 2013
Voting opened last week for the Madison's Favorites poll, the annual Isthmus survey on your favorite people, places and things around Madison, along with a few odds and ends. We even ask you to name (that is, make up) an award that Madison should win!
June 13, 2013 - Isthmus
- Woodrow Wilson in Family Security Matters
28th President Woodrow Wilson stated in his Thanksgiving Proclamation, October 23, 1913: "We have seen the practical completion of a great work at the Isthmus of Panama which not only exemplifies the nation's abundant capacity of its public servants...
- Bjorn in The Local
The bridge manifested primarily a mental change. Physically, it is like an isthmus that connects us to the continent. We had always felt close to Denmark, but the bridge was like a pointer - symbolically, it showed the way forward,MalmÃ¶...
- Bill Casey in Victoria Star
Discovering that "certainly caught my attention," Casey says. "All of our links go across that low isthmus - the TransCanada, the CN line, our telecommunications. If we lost that, it would isolate Nova Scotia. It's kind of ironic that we're...