band : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n an unofficial association of people or groups
- n instrumentalists not including string players
- n a stripe or stripes of contrasting color
chromosomes exhibit characteristic bands
the black and yellow banding of bees and wasps
- n an adornment consisting of a strip of a contrasting color or material
- n a group of musicians playing popular music for dancing
- n a range of frequencies between two limits
- n a thin flat strip of flexible material that is worn around the body or one of the limbs (especially to decorate the body)
- n a cord-like tissue connecting two larger parts of an anatomical structure
- n jewelry consisting of a circlet of precious metal (often set with jewels) worn on the finger
he noted that she wore a wedding band
- n a driving belt in machinery
- n a thin flat strip or loop of flexible material that goes around or over something else, typically to hold it together or as a decoration
- n a strip of material attached to the leg of a bird to identify it (as in studies of bird migration)
- n a restraint put around something to hold it together
- v bind or tie together, as with a band
- v attach a ring to the foot of, in order to identify
band the geese to observe their migratory patterns
- In fact, if you're the Japanese band Glay (as in "neither black nor white but something in between," according to a publicist), you don't really care what people think.
- Last week the band was getting an extra push from other recording outfits who have rushed yet new versions of Winchester to the stores.
- Each band-section is chaperoned and guided by a ministerial graduate of the Orphanage.
News & Articles
- Adult band camp holds Gala Concert today
The Band Camp for Adult Musicians holds its Gala Concert today at 7 p.m. in Shafer Auditorium on the Allegheny College campus. The concert is free and no reservations are required.
June 28, 2013 - The Meadville Tribune
- White Oak band part of July 4 parade in D.C.
White Oak band partof July 4 parade in D.C. Steele lines up White Oak band members Thursday at the school. Incoming freshmen, as well as outgoing seniors, are traveling to Washington, D.C., making it a five-grade event. The band leaves Monday.
June 28, 2013 - The Longview News-Journal
- Band in Fatal Hazing to Perform Again
The 19-month suspension of Florida A&M University’s band, whose reputation was damaged by the death of a drum major, will be lifted.
June 27, 2013 - New York Times
- Robert Gates in United Press International
I've directed the deployment again of THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defense) missiles to Hawaii and the SBX (Sea Based X-Band) radar has deployed away from Hawaii to provide support,Gates said. "Without telegraphing what we will do, I...
- Portia Simpson Miller in 940 News
Let us band together and unite in the threat of this hurricane,Simpson-Miller said.
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in guardian.co.uk
Asked if she agreed, Mrs Clinton replied firmly: "No, I do not. I am a senator from New York. I have lived with the aftermath of 9/11, and I have seen firsthand the terrible damage that can be inflicted on our country by a small band of terrorists."