israelites : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the ethnic group claiming descent from Abraham and Isaac (especially from Isaac's son Jacob); the nation whom God chose to receive his revelation and with whom God chose to make a covenant (Exodus 19)
- n a native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Israel
- n a person belonging to the worldwide group claiming descent from Jacob (or converted to it) and connected by cultural or religious ties
News & Articles
- Neighbors helping neighbors
Leroy Rucker was a "wild child," until his first-born son overdosed and died at a methadone clinic a year ago. His son's death sent him in a new direction, like the Israelites after God struck down their enemies' first-born in Exodus.
June 18, 2013 - Altoona Mirror
- Megan Quinn: Faith-based groups fight human trafficking
Thousands of years after the Israelites sought an end to their slavery, faith-based groups continue to fight human trafficking.
June 15, 2013 - Boulder Daily Camera
- Decalogue & Democracy
At the magazine Mosaic , Peter Berkowitz examines the relationship between the Decalogue and liberal democracy, taking his cue from a recent essay by Leon Kass. Both men, Kass and Berkowitz, are among the most thoughtful conservative voices around but I think they are wrong when they suggest that the Israelites were given a choice.
June 13, 2013 - National Catholic Reporter
- Desmond Dekker in CBC.ca
It's about how hard things were for a lot of people in Jamaica - downtrodden, like the Israelites,Dekker wrote in the liner notes for a 2005 career retrospective. "I was really saying, 'Don't give up, things will get better if you just...
- Pat Robertson in One Thousand Reasons
Robertson, God's most vocal confidant, says Palestinians are an abomination -- a contagion for which there is no cure and whose only function is to "cause trouble for the Israelites, and pull the Israelites away from God, and prevent the truth of...
- James Hal Cone in Forward
It was, Cone said, "especially the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt [that] became a central theme in my theology because it's been a central theme in black religion. Here you have salvation of an enslaved people being liberated. Actually,...