insurgent : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a person who takes part in an armed rebellion against the constituted authority (especially in the hope of improving conditions)
- n a member of an irregular armed force that fights a stronger force by sabotage and harassment
- s in opposition to a civil authority or government
- The government showed maturity by calling the insurgents for negotiations so that peace could be restored.
- And insurgent groups take full advantage, easily slipping men and munitions in and out of neighborhoods guarded by Iraqi soldiers and police.
- Insurgent negotiators confirm to PTI that they have met with Welch.
News & Articles
- 'Hastert Rule' Pushed by Insurgent Republicans
An insurgent group of House Republicans is pushing to codify the "Hastert rule" to only allow bills with majority GOP support to come to the floor.
June 13, 2013 - CQ Politics
- West to discuss aid with Syria rebel leader; insurgents kill Shi'ites
By Erika Solomon and John Irish BEIRUT/PARIS (Reuters) - Western officials will meet the commander of the main force fighting President Bashar al-Assad on Saturday to discuss new aid, diplomats said, signaling a new bid to help mainstream rebels and counter the strength of sectarian militias. Underscoring the West's fears of an uncontrolled sectarian bloodbath, activists said Sunni insurgent ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Scores Killed in Attacks Across Iraq
A series of insurgent attacks across Iraq has killed at least 70 people and injured scores more. No one has claims responsibility for Monday's attacks, which included car bombs, suicide attacks and gun battles. The deadliest violence struck the northern city of Mosul, where four car bombs targeted security forces, killing 29 people and wounding 80. Earlier in the day, car bombings hit two ...
June 10, 2013 - Voice of America
- Nicholas Burns in Sydney Morning Herald
The US Under Secretary of State, Nicholas Burns, sent another warning to Iran against interfering in Iraq, saying US officials had "picked up individuals who we believe are giving very sophisticated explosives technology to Shia insurgent groups who...
- David Petraeus in CNN (blog)
But "this was expected," he said. "The going inevitably gets tougher before it gets easier when a counterinsurgency operation tries to reverse insurgent momentum. My sense is that the tough fighting will continue. Indeed, it may get more...
- Nouri al-Maliki in International Herald Tribune
I do not negotiate with any outlaw armed group, not the Mahdi Army nor the Islamic Army (a Sunni insurgent group) nor any other group because this contradicts the principles of the state,al-Maliki said.