impulsive : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s proceeding from natural feeling or impulse without external stimulus
an impulsive gesture of affection
- s without forethought
letting him borrow her car was an impulsive act that she immediately regretted
- s having the power of driving or impelling
an impulsive force
- s determined by chance or impulse or whim rather than by necessity or reason
- s characterized by undue haste and lack of thought or deliberation; (`brainish' is archaic)
liable to such impulsive acts as hugging strangers
- Sharon maybe an impulsive buyer but she is not a fool and can smell a scam from a mile.
- It was an impulsive decision to sell the blue chip stock but when on the following day the market crashed, the decision turned out to be fortuitous.
- You cannot be impulsive when you are negotiating a hostage situation; you have to be patient and a very good listener.
News & Articles
- Carolyn Hax: Middle sister weary of being mediator and venting board
I have an older sister, 'Mary,' and a younger one, 'Tracy,' who simply do not get along. Mary hasn't done anything specific like bullying, but I've never seen her openly accept Tracy or be nice to her. Tracy has tried really hard to gain Mary's acceptance, without success. Tracy can be impulsive and thoughtless; she might offend someone without realizing it. So to sum up 30-plus years of sibling ...
June 11, 2013 - Detroit Free Press
- HOROSCOPES: June 8
GEMINI (May 21-June 20) — You may need to take a calculated risk to advance an important objective. It's OK to be bold, just don't be brash or impulsive.
June 8, 2013 - The Oakland Press
- Give Yourself a Midyear Financial Checkup
Consumers often aim high when setting financial New Year's resolutions. Some resolve to pay off six figures' worth of student loan debt, while others hope to sock away 10 percent of their net income into an individual retirement account. Impulsive investors may vow to ignore the stock market's day-to-day changes and focus on the long term.
June 6, 2013 - U.S.News & World Report LP via Yahoo! News
- Philipp Lahm in The Associated Press
We have to concentrate on our own game. They are temperamental, we'll see how they deal with defeat on Saturday,Lahm said. "They are impulsive, temperamental and they don't know how to lose."
- Joran van der Sloot in CNN International
After I responded with hitting her, I feared that she would go to the police and they would detain me for what was an impulsive act,van der Sloot said. "I think I wanted to kill her because I wasn't thinking."
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in Hindu
In the Obama Administration," we are also ready to listen," committed as they were "to a foreign policy that is neither impulsive nor ideological, one that values what others have to say," Clinton said.