- s devoid of warmth and cordiality; expressive of unfriendliness or disdain
- s extremely cold
- s covered with or containing or consisting of ice
icy northern waters
- s shiny and slick as with a thin coating of ice
roads and trees glazed with an icy film
- Despite her reputation for being icy and inscrutable, despite the severe perfection of her hairstyle and wardrobe, Wintour has taken it upon herself to act as something of a .
- It's one of thousands of icy bodies in a diskshape swarm known as the Kuiper Belt that orbits the sun in the dark, frigid realm beyond Neptune.
- A Cassini spacecraft image shows icy geysers spewing from the south polar region of Saturn's moon Enceladus.
News & Articles
- Two rescued from Mendenhall Lake
Two kayakers were pulled from the icy waters of Mendenhall Lake after they fell out of their kayaks this afternoon. Fire officials estimate they were in the water between 30 minutes and an hour.
June 12, 2013 - Juneau Empire
- Life on Saturn's moon? How a mountain gave clues to a subsurface sea.
Saturn's icy moon Dione may hide a subsurface ocean, researchers say. They found clues to the hidden sea in the way a mountain range warped the surface of the frozen moon.
June 11, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- Saturn's icy moon Dione may hide watery secret
By Tanya LewisSpace.comThe plain-looking Saturn moon Dione may have once had a geologically active subsurface ocean, new images from NASA's Cassini spacecraft reveal.Images of Dione's 500-mile-long (800 kilometers) mountain Janiculum Dorsa suggest that the moon could have been a weaker copycat of Enceladus, Saturn's icy geyser moon."There may turn out to be many more active worlds with water out ...
June 10, 2013 - MSNBC
- Barack Obama in International Herald Tribune
With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come,Obama said at the end of his speech. "Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end,...
- Benjamin Raich in International Herald Tribune
It's steep, it's icy, it's bumpy,Raich said. "You have to stay clean. I made a big mistake in the middle which I think cost me a silver medal."
- Achim Steiner in China Daily
Achim Steiner, the UN undersecretary-general and UNEP executive director, said: "This report might to some people seem to address issues from remote and far away places. But it underlines the fate of the world's snowy and icy places in a...