humorless : Definition, Usages, News and More
- a lacking humor; a wink of warning"- Truman Capote
it was a humorless wink
- Stopping to admire his film's production design (good work by Stuart Craig), he slows the action down; it's often stodgy, humorless.
- Following her election to the Knesset, she became a protege of Ariel Sharon, and gained a reputation for being modest and humorless but always on the straight and narrow.
- A relentlessly intelligent, funny, and kind writer, he's endlessly interested in stupid, humorless, cruel people, and in his new book House of Meetings (Knopf; 256 pages) he turns .
News & Articles
- Facebook's Complaint Process Is Arbitrary — But So Is Campaigning
Bennett Haselton writes "After initial abuse reports failed to shut down some anti-women and pro-rape pages on Facebook, a wider lobbying campaign succeeded in prompting a Facebook policy change. This has been alternately hailed as a vindication of the campaigner's cause, or derided as proof that Facebook can be cowed by humorless feminists. In reality, the success of the campaign was most ...
June 14, 2013 - Slashdot
- In 'After Earth,' Jaden Smith proves again that he's no movie star
'After Earth' wouldn't exist had actor Will Smith not cooked it up as yet another star vehicle for his son. This sci-fi adventure about a boy who must become a man to save himself and his wounded warrior father in a hostile world is a corny, generally humorless picture from director M. Night Shyamalan ('The Sixth Sense,' 2010's insipid 'The Last Airbender').
June 14, 2013 - Detroit Free Press
- Man of Steel: Why So Serious, Latest Superman?
In Zack Snyder's annihilative, 97-percent-humorless Superman movie, Henry Cavill plays the strapping orphan from another world, pursued to Earth by a eugenics-mad strongman played by Michael Shannon. This conflict is predicated on the good faith of a father played by Russell Crowe, which is perso...
June 11, 2013 - SF Weekly
- Katherine Heigl in San Francisco Chronicle
But in a recent interview with Vanity Fair magazine, Heigl said, "It's a little sexist. It paints the women as shrews, as humorless and uptight and it paints the men as lovable, goofy, fun-loving guys. It was hard for me to love the movie."
- Scott Adams in Burlington Hawk Eye
I know good comic fodder when I see it, and any chance to mock the humorless is worth the effort,Adams said.
- Michael Gerson in USA Today
He has a very intellectual approach to politics,Gerson says. "When he tries to be populist and partisan, he often comes across as humorless, brittle and nasty. ...... He's the worst populist I've ever seen."