- n social bee often domesticated for the honey it produces
- Scientists map the genes of the honeybee, a key agricultural pollinator whose numbers are plummeting.
- On the "waggle dance" that a nectar-gathering honeybee does in the hive to alert others that there's an orange tree nearby: "She heads to the dance floor and does her waggle .
- The PNAS team's work was possible only because the honeybee's genome is one of the few animal genomes that scientists have decoded in full.
- Mike Johanns in Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
The honeybee population is absolutely critical to agricultural production,Johanns said at a ceremony for the release of a postage stamp recognizing National Pollination Week.
- Vince Cable in guardian.co.uk
Cable said: "The battle has partly been won over the funding, and overall awareness about the importance of honeybee populations means that government can no longer treat them as a marginal issue. But there is still a question over how the money is...
- David Bellamy in News of the World
TV wildlife expert, David Bellamy said: "Albert Einstein once said that if the bees disappeared then man would have only four years of life left". "Here, the honeybee is responsible for helping to produce a third of the British diet and it's...