hideous : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s grossly offensive to decency or morality; causing horror
a hideous pattern of injustice
- s so extremely ugly as to be terrifying
a hideous scar
- The view used to go all the way to the ocean, now it stops with the hideous high rises.
- The salesman enthused that this cute looking gadget replaces the hideous mass of batteries currently required to recharge mobile gadgets.
- The ''hideous men'' in Wallace's short stories are monstrous, parodic versions of Updikean characters, scrutinized with the eye of a pathologist -- think of Rabbit Angstrom as .
News & Articles
- Designer Remakes NSA's 'Hideous' PRISM Slideshow
Pretty much everyone has an opinion about PRISM . But Paris-based presentation designer Emiland De Cubber is less concerned about privacy versus security debate — instead, he's worried about the NSA 's lack of PowerPoint know-how "Dear NSA," he writes in the presentation. "You can do whatever you want with my data. But not with my eyes. Those slides are hideous." SEE ALSO: 'Obama Is Checking ...
June 11, 2013 - Mashable
- 'The Architecture of Surveillance': With the NSA leaks making headlines,...
With the NSA leaks making headlines, Architizer takes a look at the architecture of surveillance, noting that "these buildings do all they can to stay unremarkable; so while they aren't cutting-edge, they also are not so hideous as to be...
June 11, 2013 - Curbed
- Letter: A Hideous Auditory Affliction
The Jack Vernon Walk to Silence Tinnitus took place yesterday in Portland, Ore. Vernon was the cofounder of the American Tinnitus Association, which is based in Portland, and the leader of research to find a cure for this hideous affliction, which is suffered by an estimated 50 million Americans.
June 10, 2013 - Valley News
- Andrew Welsh in Glasgow Evening Times
Angus MSP Andrew Welsh said: "My reaction is one of shock that such an incident should have happened, especially when young children have been involved. It is a hideous situation for these youngsters."
- Ban Ki-moon in Guardian Unlimited
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said "violence against women has reached hideous and pandemic proportions in some societies attempting to recover from conflict."
- John Evelyn in FOXNews
God grant mine eyes may never behold the like, who now saw above 10,000 houses all in one flame; the noise and cracking and thunder of people, the fall of towers, houses, and churches, was like an hideous storm,wrote diarist John Evelyn.