- n an underground banking system based on trust whereby money can be made available internationally without actually moving it or leaving a record of the transaction
terrorists make extensive use of hawala
- And since hawala does not affect the Dubai economy, and it's not a priority for local law enforcement.
- The ISI also vetted new recruits and laundered terrorist funds through the hawala global network of informal money changers.
- They may have employed a system of brokers called hawala, which means "in trust" in Hindi.
News & Articles
- Somalia Facing Potential Humanitarian Disaster After Crucial Banking System Discontinued By Barclays (NYSE:BCS)
Somalia could be facing a humanitarian crisis after Britain’s Barclays PLC (NYSE:BCS) decided to stop aiding the informal banking practices that enabled money transfers into the country from the 1.5 million Somalians living abroad. Hawala’s, as they are known, act as a lifeline for more than half of the impoverished 10 million people living in the lawless East African country, amounting to about ...
Aug. 26, 2013 - International Business Times
- Mohammad Najibullah in Zawya
Afghanistan is a country that is built on personal connections and trust. If someone trusts them, he will do business with them,said Haji Najib, the chairman of Kabul's hawala association. "It is the same for hawala."
- Lalu Prasad in India Today
If there's proof of anyone's involvement in the hawala transactions, then appropriate action should be taken. The decision to make Koda the chief minister was taken collectively,said Lalu.
- Jack Cafferty in Taipei Times
The scene showing the hero in an underground den full of Muslims dealing with hawala transactions is highly objectionable. It makes it seem that our community is involved in such illegal acts against the state and the people. We cannot accept... Hyder Ali http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyder_Ali&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFUOAtNW_ExMAiYj0SrwrAw2UU7Hg AKI http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level_English.php%3Fcat%3DPolitics%26loid%3D8.0.427830534%26par%3D0&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHsV1It500KnR75kmfm-k5Lk9CFZg Jun 21, 2007
45879 62364 hawk Cafferty said: Well, I don't know if China is any different, but our relationship with China is certainly different. We're in hawk to the Chinese up to our eyeballs because of the war in Iraq, for one thing. They're holding hundreds of billions of...