- n a flash of light (especially reflected light)
- n an appearance of reflected light
- v be shiny, as if wet
- v shine brightly, like a star or a light
- v appear briefly
- s bright with a steady but subdued shining
the gleaming brass on the altar
- Hollywood has taught us what to expect: a trusty sidekick like R2-D2, a gleaming robo-maid like The Jetsons' Rosey or a cyberassassin like .
- The gleaming new buildings, stadiums and public spaces are visible symbols of the $40 billion campaign Liu is leading to ensure that China's coming-out party goes off without a .
- At the gleaming Bumrungrad Hospital, well-heeled foreigners pay around $6,000 for the works, including breast augmentation and Adam's apple shaving.
News & Articles
- Baltimore Police Academy graduation follows accidental shooting
An underlying somber current cut through Friday evening's graduation The latest class of police trainees marched to the podium to accept law enforcement certificates in gleaming black shoes and brass buttons that matched their smiles. The graduates yelled their names proudly during a special roll call and chanted at the end of the ceremony with vigor.
June 22, 2013 - Baltimore Sun
- Secrecy, surveillance pose challenge to media
In recent weeks, the gleaming Digital Age has been flipped over, exposing a dank underbelly of post-9/11 secrecy and surveillance reminiscent of a mid-20th-century police state, implicating not just government but Silicon Valley, too, in wide-ranging use and misuse of information.
June 21, 2013 - Miami Herald
- NPR’s new digs derided as costly ‘News Palace’
By The Washington Post NPR’s gleaming new headquarters in the shadow of the Capitol in Washington has soaring ceilings, a 24-hour “wellness” center, an employee gym and a gourmet ...
June 21, 2013 - The Mckeesport Daily News
- Francis Scott Key in The Register-Guard
Key wrote, "Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light, what so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming. ...... Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."
- Tessa Jowell in guardian.co.uk
Tessa Jowell, the humanitarian assistance minister, told the relatives of the victims that their loved ones were "immortal in your hearts and now immortalised in this place". "It shows us in gleaming steel and soft earth our communal loss. So...
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in KITV.com
It is a region that has gone from soybeans to satellites, from rural outposts to gleaming mega-cities, from traditional calligraphy to instant messaging and most importantly, from old hatreds to new partnerships,Clinton said.