- n a beam made usually of steel; a main support in a structure
- John McCoy, finding his right arm vised between the girder and the roof of his cab, let out a yell that brought firemen, a priest and a doctor.
- His instinct is to always reach for the hottest rivet in the bucketbare-handed, of coursethen jam it while it's still glowing right into the girder hole where it belongs.
- In a special ceremony, he rode a crane bucket up to where welders had mounted the cross-shaped girder from Tower 1, then blessed the impromptu monument.
News & Articles
- Smooth ride for I-5 closure
Bridge girder placement complete, Washington State Department of Transportation has reopened Interstate 5 more than a day earlier than expected.
June 9, 2013 - The Columbian
- Crews 'launching the bridge' across Skagit River
Construction crews on the north side of the fallen Skagit River Bridge work Monday to assemble girder sections for a temporary bridge span in Burlington. The span will be used during the summer while a permanent replacement span is built.
June 7, 2013 - Everett Herald
- Construction to close I-5 in Salmon Creek all weekend
Around-the-clock work to set 12 girders over Interstate 5 will close all northbound and southbound lanes in Vancouver for 54 hours this weekend.
June 6, 2013 - FOX 12 Oregon
- Jack Strain in FOXNews
A girder gave way and the workers fell 30 to 35 feet into the water,St. Tammany Sheriff Jack Strain said following the Thursday midday accident.
- Fred Haney in Los Angeles Times
The ball hit the girder over and behind the screen and should be a home run,Haney said. "When it shook down [by fans] it fell out of the park."