- n motion of hands or body to emphasize or help to express a thought or feeling
- n the use of movements (especially of the hands) to communicate familiar or prearranged signals
- n something done as an indication of intention
a political gesture
a gesture of defiance
- v show, express or direct through movement
He gestured his desire to leave
- Last week Premier Calinescu of Rumania received a heart-warming telegram, praising him for a "noble gesture.
- Deal or No Deal host Howie Mandel reportedly adopted the gesture as a friendly way to avoid his contestants' germs.
- Tough little Chancellor Leopold Figl maneuvered so skillfully that even Austria's Communists backed his gesture of defiance to Russia.
News & Articles
- Unrest in Turkey
Turkish performance artist Erdem Gunduz, center, is joined by others as he makes his silent protest in Taksim Square. As word of his gesture of protest spread, Gunduz became known as the "standing man."
June 18, 2013 - CNN
- Hidden iOS 7 beta settings point to unused gesture, icon options
Tweaking the iOS 7 beta reveals hidden settings that hint at Apple plans and/or concepts for the firmware, reports say. These include OS-wide edge- and corner-swipe gestures, which would come on top of edge-swipe commands in apps like Safari and Messages. The edge gestures would reportedly be used for quick app switching....
June 18, 2013 - MacNN
- Google updates Gesture Search, now recognizes over 40 languages
Gesture lovers and polyglots rejoice! Yesterday, Google updated Gesture Search for Android phones and tablets, making it compatible with even more languages. The app provides quick access to music, contacts, applications, settings and bookmarks -- to name some -- by letting users simply draw characters on the screen. It now recognizes over 40 languages and even handles transliteration, which ...
June 13, 2013 - Engadget
- Lance Armstrong in Times of India
Very generous. Obviously he recognises he had the support of a great team it's a nice gesture,said Armstrong, who is now looking forward to enjoying retirement from highly competitive racing after the Tour.
- David Plouffe in 940 News
We have both fought hard throughout the country, both of us, for delegates and the fact that we're willing to essentially cede her delegates we do not think is an insignificant gesture on our part,Obama campaign manager David Plouffe said....
- President Bush in CTV.ca
It was a dangerous gesture on their part,Bush said of the incident, which was captured on video and released by the Pentagon. "And they know our position, and that is: There will be serious consequences if they attack our ships, pure and...