- n a person who does not acknowledge your god
- n a person who is not a member of one's own religion; used in this sense by Mormons and Hindus
- n a Christian as contrasted with a Jew
- n a Christian
Christians refer to themselves as gentiles
- a belonging to or characteristic of non-Jewish peoples
- The board explained that the idea was to increase the ratio of gentile to Jew in the remaining classes so that gentile students no longer would feel outnumbered.
- Wrongly identifying him as "Israel Thonstein," a Jew passing for a gentile, the FBI found no evidence that he had ever belonged to the Communist Party or engaged in treasonous .
- To be nice, by some gentile measure, was more than a question of etiquette.
News & Articles
- Italian Righteous Gentile Put on Path To Sainthood by Church
An Italian Catholic activist and journalist who was declared a Righteous Gentile for saving Jewish lives during World War II has formally been put on the road to sainthood by the Roman Catholic church. Click here for the rest of the article...
June 16, 2013 - The Forward
- Lawmakers seek changes for property seizure legislation
ATLANTA - Alda Gentile was not arrested. She was not charged with a crime. Yet police in Georgia seized $11,530 in cash that Gentile said she had in a car for a house-hunting trip in Florida.
June 16, 2013 - AccessNorthGa.com
- Union protests nonunion hiring for Palisades Center facelift
Peter Gentile, Anthony Garlasco and Frank Christie (from left) at the Palisades Center mall in West Nyack Saturday protesting the mall hiring non-union out of state workers for renovation work at the mall.
June 15, 2013 - The Journal News
- Jackie Mason in Forbes
There's no such thing as a Jew for Jesus. It's like saying a black man is for the KKK,the 75-year-old Mason said. "You can't be a table and a chair. You're either a Jew or a gentile."
- Thomas Jefferson in International Herald Tribune
In his book, "American Gospel," Jon Meacham quotes James Madison as saying law was "meant to comprehend, with the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and the Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination."
- Marcus Borg in Washington Post
For Matthew, the magic star leading the wise men to the place of Jesus's birth is his way of saying what happened in Jesus is for the Gentile world as well,said Marcus Borg, professor of religion and culture at Oregon State University and...