- n an opening remark intended to secure an advantage for the speaker
- n a maneuver in a game or conversation
- n a chess move early in the game in which the player sacrifices minor pieces in order to obtain an advantageous position
- President's best friends tried to persuade him that his gambit would backfire but he did not care.
- After a long delay, Random House sent a form letter, and an editor at William Morrow postscripted a consolation: "Sorry, I liked the opening gambit.
News & Articles
- DuBos: A welcome change in state's criminal code
Amid all the hoopla about the state budget, Louisiana lawmakers passed a landmark change in the state’s criminal code this year. The new law requires “open discovery” in criminal cases. And that’s the topic of this week’s Commentary by Eyewitness News Political Analyst and Gambit columnist Clancy DuBos . Clancy DuBos / Eyewitness News Political Analyst NEW ORLEANS -- For decades, the law has ...
June 18, 2013 - WWL-TV, Channel 4 New Orleans
- Gambit and Iceman are looking for new homes
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Gambit and Iceman stopped by FOX 4 on Friday and are looking for permanent homes. Wayside...
June 14, 2013 - FOX 4 Kansas City
- Theater review: "Dust Storm" an assured start to new Theatre Esprit Asia theater company
With "Dust Storm," Theatre Esprit Asia gets its inaugural gambit just right, delivering a work that is modest and ambitious, spare and emotionally textured.
June 13, 2013 - Denver Post
- Joanna Lumley in Glasgow Daily Record
Speaking from Sheffield's Crucible Theatre, where she is appearing in The Cherry Orchard, Lumley added: "Gareth and I shared so much laughter - we were constantly in hysterics making the Avengers. Gambit and Purdey were quite often sent out to do...
- Pat Martin in Toronto Star
I think that's their best gambit and probably their action plan,says Martin. "It would be the best of both worlds for them. It's a risky game though."
- Captain Mark Phillips in CBS News
The Georgian gambit of trying to push the Russians out of its breakaway border territories seems to have had the opposite effect of consolidating Russian control,reported CBS News correspondent Mark Phillips. "It's still unclear whether...