- n assets in the form of money
- n a reserve of money set aside for some purpose
- n a supply of something available for future use
- n a financial institution that sells shares to individuals and invests in securities issued by other companies
- v convert (short-term floating debt) into long-term debt that bears fixed interest and is represented by bonds
- v place or store up in a fund for accumulation
- v provide a fund for the redemption of principal or payment of interest
- v invest money in government securities
- v accumulate a fund for the discharge of a recurrent liability
- v furnish money for
The government funds basic research in many areas
- One organization chooses the world's wonders that most need protection and lists them as endangered-species and eligible for international stewardship and restoration funds.
- The firms that own them are making hundreds of funds vanish.
- In an audition for the role of villain in the world's financial markets, sovereign wealth funds would have pushed sub-prime mortgages close in recent months.
News & Articles
- Funds still needed to pay for Walpole fireworks
Funds are short but firefighters remain hopeful that the town’s fireworks tradition won’t go up in smoke just yet.
June 22, 2013 - The Walpole Times
- Student funds misuse case in Mont. Co. may not be new
The investigation into possible misuse of student funds at a Montgomery County school continues, but concerns about the financial dealings at the Rock Terrace Elementary School apparently aren't new.
June 22, 2013 - WTOP Radio Washington, DC
- China Funds Lose in Fifth Week of Asian Outflows, Citigroup Says
China funds posted the biggest losses with $558 million of net withdrawals in the week ended June 19, followed by regional funds at $521 million, Citigroup’s Hong-Kong based chief Asian strategist Markus Rosgen wrote in a note to clients today.
June 21, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Ben Bernanke in 940 News
These steps will provide financial institutions with greater assurance of access to funds,Bernanke told reporters in a brief conference call Sunday evening.
- Scott Stanzel in New York Times
The new democratic government of Iraq, during this crucial period of reconstruction, cannot afford to have its funds entangled in such lawsuits in the United States,Scott Stanzel, a White House spokesman, said in a statement.
- Gary Coleman in The Associated Press
We'll help lower mortgage costs and extend loans to small businesses so they can create jobs. We'll ensure that CEOs are not draining funds that should be advancing our recovery. And we will insist on unprecedented transparency, rigorous oversight,... Barack Obama http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHQ0yfPaaXFGqLKymRgcres0I2nuA Indian Express http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.indianexpress.com/news/would-not-tolerate-wall-street-greed-obama/417498/&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGsvIYF7Zt6Hr6QfBicJ3b43cMwww Jan 31, 2009
40508 52022 funeral I direct my personal representative to permit no members of the press to be present at my wake or funeral," Coleman stated.