- v make formal or official
We formalized the appointment and gave him a title
- v declare or make legally valid
- The junta's idea of lenience an 18-month sentence is long enough to keep Suu Kyi in custody during a 2010 election which will formalize the military's grip on power, but .
- So, compounding the error, the Administration decided to formalize its accidental policy and apply it to men as well as women.
- The prime minister is now due to meet with the president to formalize the dissolution of the current government.
- Bernie Ecclestone in CNN International
I said I wouldn't formalize a contract until after the elections because I didn't know who I would be signing it with,Ecclestone told Catalonia television on Friday.
- Hashim Thaci in International Herald Tribune
The No. 1 commitment of this government and of all Kosovo citizens is to formalize Kosovo as an independent, democratic state,said Thaci, the prime minister-designate.
- Tim Kaine in USA Today
Details will remain confidential as the parties move forward to finalize and formalize their agreement,Kaine said in the statement.