- n any of the terminal members of the hand (sometimes excepting the thumb)
her fingers were long and thin
- n the length of breadth of a finger used as a linear measure
- n one of the parts of a glove that provides covering for a finger or thumb
- v feel or handle with the fingers
finger the binding of the book
- v examine by touch
The customer fingered the sweater
- v search for on the computer
I fingered my boss and found that he is not logged on in the afternoons
- v indicate the fingering for the playing of musical scores for keyboard instruments
- If the pigmentation is not present, the spatulate fingers are usually due to lung disease.
- Expert fingerprinters held a party in Manhattan last week to observe a new, clean method of performing their job.
- You'll wonder why you can't swipe your finger across your laptop screen to jump backward and forward in your browser.
- Jerry Seinfeld in New York Times (blog)
This woman's a jerk; I hate her,Seinfeld said, according to several published reports. "I can't believe they put her in my box that I paid for! You give people the finger and you get upgraded? Is that the world we're living in now?"
- Mike Nifong in Sports Network
It does not contribute to the cause of justice in Durham for me to serve as the sitting district attorney for every time I walk into the courtroom [there are] people pointing a finger at me and saying there's the guy in the Duke lacrosse case,...
- Rex Grossman in USA Today
We win one game and we're in the Super Bowl,Grossman said, "two wins away from having a ring on my finger for the rest of my life."