- v call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses)
- v evoke or provoke to appear or occur
- v deduce (a principle) or construe (a meaning)
- v summon into action or bring into existence, often as if by magic
- v call to mind
this remark evoked sadness
- s called forth from a latent or potential state by stimulation
- Netrebko's blend of vocal splendor and dramatic intensity has evoked comparisons with Maria Callas.
- Still, the story is evoked with arresting detail.
- So many accomplishments coming so quickly have evoked a range of emotions in Venter's fellow scientists.
News & Articles
- Gun rally gets underway
Gun rally gets underway ALBANY - A rally by opponents of the SAFE Act gun control law was held at the West Capitol Park on Tuesday. The rally was sponsored by the state Rifle & Pistol Association and Oathkeepers. At one point, participants, at the urging of Lewis County Sheriff Michael Carpinelli evoked Ronald Reagan and changed "Tear down this wall." Following the rally, participants were set ...
June 11, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Erdogan's Rule at Center of Turkey's Mounting Protests
In a series of speeches condemning ongoing unrest, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has evoked memories of previous secular-based protests against his government - protests that were strongly backed by pro-army groups. But analysts say this latest unrest appears more civic based with youth protesting for individual freedom. Gezi Park in Istanbul is the eye of a political storm that is ...
June 10, 2013 - Voice of America
- Mitsubishi gives user-friendly Outlander an upgrade
When Mitsubishi fielded its first Outlander a decade ago, the Mad Men in marketing probably thought the name evoked an SUV in the trackless wilderness, boldly going where no crossover had gone before.
June 9, 2013 - The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Jeff Sessions in CQPolitics.com
I don't believe that Judge Sotomayor has the deep-rooted convictions necessary to resist the siren call of judicial activism,Sessions wrote in an opinion piece in USA Today. "She has evoked its mantra too often. As someone who cares deeply...
- Jackie Stewart in Times of India
They haven't looked after the house properly and the foundations are built on just this two-man working relationship,Stewart said. "This has evoked concern and apprehension on the part of those involved in the sport. When Max Mosley had...
- Wasim Akram in Reuters.uk
Twenty20 cricket already has the potential to replace the ODIs as the most populist version of the sport,Akram told Reuters on Friday. "The Twenty20 World Cup has been a big success in terms of the interest it has evoked and people coming...