- n applies to nonhuman mammals: a state or period of heightened sexual arousal and activity
- Cows, goats and sheep can be thrown into estrus--readiness for pregnancy--by giving them a hormone shot.
- Because dogs randomly go into heat only every six months to a year, there's a lot of waiting for one of the lab's 50 dogs to enter estrus.
- The product contains the drug ; mibolerone, which when consumed daily prevents the onset of estrus in female dogs.
News & Articles
- The mystery of the disappearing elephant tusk
Give it a few thousand years, and tusks could completely disappear from the Asian elephant (Elephas maximus). The beautifully smooth, elongated ivory incisors neatly bordering a long trunk are iconic in the public mind. The reigning hypothesis is that tusks evolved to help male elephants fight one another, as demonstrated when males compete over females in estrus. However, a recent study ...
Oct. 31, 2013 - Environmental News Network
- Geoffrey Miller in New York Times
It's highly controversial because it's science blurring the line between humans and other primates,Miller says, "but our results give clear economic evidence that human estrus actually does exist."